Friday, November 2, 2012

Ugh, Ruffles!!

I know I've mentioned it before, probably more than once, but I really love hanging out with my brother's family. My SIL and I are pretty close in age and our daughters love playing together, so I go and see her every couple of weeks and we catch up for the day. It's always lovely and today was no exception. However, a fortnight ago while I was there we pulled out a skirt that had been cut out and started by somebody else and left with SIL to complete. One of her UFOs. The picture was so sweet, a very frilly layered skirt, perfect for my niece. We started to get it all together, but we ran out of time, so today we pulled it back out again. I took my sewing machine over today and got straight onto stitching ruffles (SIL did all the gathering, thankfully) to the in between-y strips. After we had joined together 4 of the 6 layers, the skirt was only down to my niece's bottom, not very modest! After much studying of the cutting instructions etc, we agreed that the pattern was incorrect and it couldn't have been any better than it was given the size of each piece. It took AGES to get to the point we were at and we really wanted to get it done today. We were both a bit over it but were also totally disappointed with how it turned out. So we decided to lengthen each of the in between-y strips, then left off the bottom ruffle and after another couple of hours of stress and frustration...
TADA!!


One cute-as ruffle-y skirt.
Never again!
Mind you, both SIL and I were tempted to try it again just to see whether or not we could improve it.
oh yeah, and isn't my niece gorgeous!

Now, talking about UFOs, yesterday I pulled out one of mine, a panel that was given to me when my daughter was born. I had added some decorative stitching to highlight the details on the panel. I had also added a peeper and border. Yesterday I sandwiched it with wadding and backing and used the bagging technique to join them. The I quilted around some of the features on the panel, but not much.


I realised 2 things while completing this project:
1. I LOVE my walking foot!
2. I really don't like working with cheap puffy polyester wadding.
I'm not a huge fan pf panels usually, but my assistant totally deserves this quilt!

Last night, having finished something, I was on a craft high, so I used the motivation to dive into my stash and make another skirt for my assistant. She has been eyeing off this yellow printed vintage replica fat quarter that I've had for years, so I decided to use it to make the new skirt. I paired it with some striped cotton voile which I bought at the very start of my stash building. I used it to make a skirt for myself about 9 years ago and since have only used tiny pieces at a time. It had the perfect colours to match with the other fabric and I knew it was meant to be.



I really love the way it turned out.  I know, gathering, but this was way easy and way less gathering than today's insane ruffles.

I also love these little try-hard smiles! I know I have the most adorable little assistant though.

Anyway, I should go and sleep...

Sweet dreams! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment