Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Monday - Slap in the face...

Do you ever feel like you have been slapped in the face, but without the actual slap in the face? Ok, so that didn't make any sense...let me show you my photo for today and then I'll explain.

So this is a photo of a catalogue in our house. Sale, Bargains, Not to be missed. Yay...not...Why did I take this picture?

Well, This is actually what I saw... 


"Gains to be missed".

I spent the next few seconds trying to work out what would say "to be missed" on it. The I realised that gains to be missed wasn't the intended message at all, but in-fact the complete opposite of what the designer wanted. Seeing it the other way made me think though. Maybe it wasn't what the printer wanted, but I think it was exactly what was meant for me. I am a self-confessed "stinge", so I don't often indulge when it comes to shopping. But it made me think of a whole pile of other things. What do I indulge in that I really should consider a gain to be missed? I guess mostly it's fabrics. I have a mild obsession with fabrics as you'll see in the next few days, I think. Sometimes there are sales and discounts on fabrics which I should probably leave behind.

But it's not just stuff that came to mind. I mean we quite often talk to people about others in a way that is not uplifting to make ourselves feel better, which is in a way a gain to be missed. I do this with certain people and sometimes I hear myself doing it and can't stop it. It's like a disease. Another example would be when we're driving. Sometimes we get stuck by someone going a couple of kms under the speed limit and find ourselves getting worked up and even angry then overtake and speed off only to be stopped just in front of them at the next set of lights. Surely that is a gain that should be missed.

I guess this picture was just a sign to remind me that I don't have to have everything and I don't have to have it now. I live in a country where we complain about the 10cents per hour more that our neighbour earns while there are families in other countries who only have 10cents an hour to live on. We worry about how we can afford to pay more for bread and milk while some people don't have either. Sometimes I feel like I have no money and I get upset because I can't have the things I want. Then I saw this catalogue and it made me think about my life. I have more than enough of all the things I need to survive and my family are not missing out on anything. We are happy. I need to learn to be content and not to compare what I have with that of others around me. I am being looked after and so are they, just in a different way.

Anyway, enough of my slap. Have you ever had one of these slap in the face moments?

I hope you had a great Monday!
I'll be back with another photo tomorrow.
Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. I have those moments all the time!
    They suck
    reminds me of a song...
    "The disease of self runs through my blood, it's a cancer fatal to my soul"

    I know you know just how much this song means to me.

    ReplyDelete